Hi

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 01:31:43AM -0700, fwc wrote:
> I've established that during the sage startup process we first have in
> line 6 of $SAGE_ROOT/sage:
>
>     CUR="`pwd`"   # save the current directory, so can change back
> after startup

Hmmm, I had

0 j...@muizenberg:~$grep CUR /usr/local/bin/sage
CUR="/usr/local/src/sage-4.1.1/"   # save the current directory, so can change
back after startup
if [ "x$CUR" = "x" ]; then
export CUR
0 j...@muizenberg:~$

So for some reason CUR is set to explicitely set to what is my SAGE_ROOT
early on.

I believe that is some sed-ing that I did to set SAGE_ROOT during installs:
sed -ie 's#="....."#="/usr/local/src/sage-4.1.1/"#' /usr/local/bin/sage
Those are . which means any characte, not literal \. as I intended
somewhere in my mind, so the `pwd` which is exactly 5 characters between
apostrophes, matched it and got replaced.
Anyway, I can and did change that back to `pwd`.
My relative path problem is now fixed.

0 j...@muizenberg:~$sage
| Sage Version 4.1.1, Release Date: 2009-08-14                       |
| Type notebook() for the GUI, and license() for information.        |
pwd
sage: pwd
'/var/autofs/misc/home/jan'
sage:

and sage -t works without full paths.

> On Sep 11, 8:15 am, Jan Groenewald <j...@aims.ac.za> wrote:
> > I will deploy sage, currently used in a course for 54 students, with the two
> > patches applied, and report any strange behaviour. Then again, students
> > always
> > behave strangely.
>
> That should be a good doctest test!

tis done

Thanks for all the patient help. May your labour be fruitful.

Jan

--
   .~.
   /V\     Jan Groenewald