On Sep 16, 10:32 am, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Another idea for a project is to finish the statistics module wrapping
> > functionality in R.   I'm teaching a modeling class right now and I wish I
> > had a nice module of statistics functionality.

Introductory statistics (the pre-calculus version) has become a very
popular course, even in the high schools.  High school students taking
the Advanced Placement Statistics exam has risen by roughly an order
of magnitude in a decade, with over 100,000 students taking the exam
last year.
http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/repository/ap08_Statistics_GradeDistributions.pdf

At our university, roughly 2/3 of the students take our introductory
course to meet their math requirement.   Attention to the tools needed
for this course might be a big win for getting the notebook and
servers into more schools.  We have faculty who know R but we still
use Minitab in the intro course, I think due to a simpler interface.
I'd imagine the AP course relies on handheld calculators for
technology.

So wrapping whatever R has for basic data analysis (histograms, box
plots), discrete probability (e.g binomial distribution), sampling
distributions (normal, t, F), confidence intervals and hypothesis
tests would go a long way to making Sage and the notebook a free and
easy tool for teaching introductory statistics at the college level.

Rob