On Sep 25, 2009, at 10:30 AM, Jason Grout wrote:

> William Stein wrote:
>
>> We could try changing how jmol is used in Sage as follows:  when the
>> user isn't actively using the 3d image, it is replaced by a static
>> png.  Then there would be at most 1 jmol applet per page.
>>

> That seems to be how mathematica does things.  At least, when I have
> compiz turned on, I physically see the static figure be replaced
> (with a
> window swooping in) by a window that lets me rotate, and when I let
> go,
> the figure is redrawn as a static image.  Sometimes this is really
> annoying, as I have to wait for the figure to be changed.
>
> In our case, it sounds like we would have to wait for a round trip to
> the server every time we tried rotating things? (or maybe we'd wait a
> few seconds, and then replaced it?)
>
> Is there any chance of making a "lite jmol" that was took much less
> than
> around 64/10=6.4M of memory?  Surely there is a lot in jmol that we
> don't use or need at the moment.

That'd be cool, but I doubt the 6.4M memory used is stuff we don't
use--the memory-intensive part is probably the rendering itself
(which we can't get by without). It'd be easy to see--how does the
memory footprint vary with the applet size?

I think the idea of keeping a single applet, and shifting it around,
is a cool one, if it can be made snappy enough. Usually you only want
to manipulate the one you just made anyways.

- Robert