On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Dr. David Kirkby
<david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:

> William Stein wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Dr. David Kirkby
>> <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
>>> http://sagetrac.org/sage_trac/ticket/6579
>>>
>>> documents a problem which will occur if one tries to build Sage using
>>> gcc on 't2', or any other Solaris box I have tried on. One has to
>>> manually comment out lines 258, 259 and 428 of the file
>>> $SAGE_HOME/local/include/pari/paripriv.h
>>>
>>> I personally don't know how to fix this issue. Nobody I'm aware of has
>>> looked at it. So each time Sage is built on Solaris, one needs to
>>> manually edit the file.
>>>
>>> What do we do about this?
>>
>> We have *exactly* the same problem with the Cygwin port.  One
>> possibility would be
>> to put a #ifdef around those 3 lines in order to remove them.
>>
>> Note that I think this problem only appears when building the *Sage*
>> library, not when
>> building PARI.  So we would pass -Dsomething to Cython so those lines don't
>> get
>> included when building the Sage library.  What do you think?  If this
>> seems reasonable for
>> you, I think I can easily implement it (since, again, it is needed for
>> the Cygwin port).
>>
>> William
>
> I think that sounds reasonable, though without understanding the library
> (which I don't), I have no idea of the implications. Someone said GAP
> would be affected.

Huh?!  Nobody said anything about GAP -- that just makes no sense.

> I'd hate to see Solaris or Cygwin become second-rate versions of Sage.
> (I often feel Mathematica on Solaris is not as good as the more popular
> Linux or Windows versions. )

I would love to see Cygwin have some version of Sage at all (which it
doesn't right now).

> I'd suggest a few things that I feel would be useful and hopefully avoid
> this.
>
> * You update http://sagetrac.org/sage_trac/ticket/6579 to say this
> happens on Cygwin too.
>
> * Until the issue is resolved properly, that something should be added
> to the banner to indicate what is basically a hack.
>
> * An environment variable will allow the hack to be enable or disabled
> at compile time.
>
> Another option, and perhaps a better one, would be to comment out the 3
> lines on ALL platforms, then wait until there are some bug reports
> traceable to this. If the hack could be disabled with a compile-time  we
> might have more hope of finding out the real cause.
>

> If http://sagetrac.org/sage_trac/ticket/7040 were resolved, we might be
> able to build the library with Sun's compiler. The absence or presence
> of this issue with another compiler could be useful.
>
> Pari builds ok with Sun's compiler - it's the Sage library which does
> not, as CC is not respected properly.
>
> Dave
>
> If you have $50 spare in your grants, perhaps offer $50 prize to anyone
> that can find the *real* cause! That might drum up a bit more interest
> in solving a problem on a platform which most people do not use!

I don't think this is a good way to drive Sage development.   It's
been tried before and the experience was thoroughly unpleasant.

And I do understand this paripriv.h thing more deeply than you guys
might think... paripriv.h = "pari private".  It's not meant to be
#included by any programs outside of pari itself.  However, because we
dig into pari and use it as a library -- which is very invasive -- to
build certain cython code we require certain prototypes from there.
Commenting out those lines will have no impact on this.

William