> I have been wondering whether we should start over and create a
> (fairly minimal) ubuntu 9.10 install using squashfs and unionfs?  What
> do you think?  There are a lot of good ideas in the approach of Puppy
> Linux... but that doesn't mean we actually have to use it in the long
> run.
>
> I wonder how big a minimal ubuntu 9.10 with Virtualbox Tools squashed
> would be?  I'm guessing around 600MB compressed.    That might be OK.
>   I'm curious what your thoughts are.
>
>  -- William

I don't see any reason why shouldn't we try using Ubuntu basis instead
of Puppy Linux. I mean, maybe starting from "alternate" or "server"
iso, instead of the "desktop" version of Ubuntu, could allow for
better package shaping and results in minimal size, but apart from
that, having a minimal working Ubuntu (or any other vastly widespread
distribution) to me is much less prone to problems, in the sense that
there is also much more support on Internet, because of the wide
adoption.

My 2 cents

Maurizio