On 27-Oct-09, at 3:17 PM, Jason Grout wrote:

> I was looking at how to make my calc 3 calculations easier to
> understand
> by calling a multivariable function with a vector input.  I ended up
> with a coercion error.  I'm not that familiar with how to work with
> the
> coercion system.  Would it be easy to make the call "f(r)" work below?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason
>

> sage: var('t')
> sage: r=vector([t,t^2])
> sage: f(x,y)=x^2+y
> sage: f(r)

This isn't really a coercion error.  f expects two inputs; you've
given it one.  Try f(*r).

Fixing this means adding yet another special case; I vote strongly
against.  (BTW, all my work these days involves symbolic functions of
vector inputs, so I've dealt with this a lot and still believe adding
a special case is a bad idea.)

Nick