Nick Alexander wrote:
>> Why do you think that f, which is a function from R^2->R^1, should not
>> naturally be able to take inputs that live in R^2?
>
> I don't.  But that's not the way that Python works, and the existing
> implementation tries to make f(x, y) look like a Python function of
> two variables.  I would be fine if it instead made f(x, y) a function
> accepting one variable (a vector in R^2) -- but that's even stranger
> in the more common case when you really want a function from, say R x
> C -> C.  Then you'd need to say f([x, y]) or something equally nutty.

Okay, you've got a point with the R x C -> C case.  However, I think
mathematical convention and easy of use would be enough to justify the
special case:

v=vector(...) # n dimensional
f(...)=... # f takes n numbers
f(v) # behaves like f(*v)

Note that we already do that for things like parametric_plot,
derivatives, etc.

So it sounds like we would just come down on opposite sides of this
issue.  Does someone else want to vote?

Thanks,

Jason

--