Several people having been using my HP-UX box recently - mainly the mpfr
developers (Vincent Lefevre, Paul Zimmermann), but also Dennis Clarke too.

There seems to be a general Vincent and Dennis that gcc 4.3.3 is the most
stable
gcc. This is nothing to do with stability on HP-UX, but of gcc in general. An
MPFR test was failing with gcc 4.0.0, which Vincent said was down to a gcc bug.
Sure enough, when I 'downgraded' gcc to 4.3.3, so the problem went away, and
mpfr passes all tests on HP-UX.

So it seems, that given a choice of gcc, perhaps gcc 4.3.3 is the one to use.

For reasons unknown, what was a bug in the Solaris implementation of memset(),
now fixed by Sun, did not show up with gcc 4.3.3. That was the latest compiler
which did not show this bug, but this was genuinely a Solaris bug, and not a
gcc
bug.

Dave