Bill Hart wrote:
> If you want to use the 4.3 series, then 4.3.0, 4.3.1, 4.3.2 are
> definitely extremely buggy (so much so I find them almost unusable).
> Another really buggy release was 4.1.2.
>
> I am also aware of bugs in the 4.4 series.
>
> Of course these are my own opinions and may not reflect any objective
> reality.
>
> Bill.

Do you have any opinions on what is the least buggy version of gcc? If Sage
ever
decided to include gcc in the source tree, what version of gcc would be your
preference?

BTW, rather embarrassingly, it is 4.3.4 that a few people have said is the
least
buggy. I said 4.3.3, as on the advice of others, that was the binary I got from
HP's site for HP-UX. (That was the best they had).

I think I will make a build of 4.3.4.

I wish the GNU developers would concentrate more on solving bugs, and less on
adding extensions. I believe they are developing some framework that will make
it easier to create extensions. Somehow, I do not think that is the most
important thing they should be worrying about.

I've built a Solaris binary of Sage using gcc 4.4.2. Perhaps I'll remake that
using gcc 4.3.4.

If a compiler bug makes your Word processor mis-behave, you are likely to
notice
it. The same is not true with maths software. Hence I see a greater need to
more
seriously consider what gcc versions are used. There might be an argument for
Sage to include a set of gcc sources, and build a stable gcc as part of the
build process for Sage. Of course, it would add significantly to the size of
the
download, and also to the time it took to build Sage. Quality does often come
at
a cost!

Dave