On Dec 29, 2009, at 9:14 PM, Peter Jeremy wrote:

> On 2009-Dec-29 23:57:13 +0000, "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kir...@onetel.net
> > wrote:
>> Peter Jeremy wrote:
>> Yes it does. And I can understand why, since for 99% of programs,
>> there is no
>> advantage to 64-bit, but some disadvantages (larger pointers, let
>> fit in cache
>> etc).
>
> OTOH, programs doing multi-precision integer math should benefit from
> 64-bit arithmetic - and I would expect that at least some parts of
> Sage would benefit from this.

Yep, 64-bit based multi-precision can be up to 4 times as fast. And
unlike most of the world, users of Sage use their computers to
actually compute.

> The crucial advantage of 64-bit is (effectively) unlimited address
> space - if you need to manipulate more than ~2GB data then 64-bit
> is the only way to go.

For sure, and we do this all the time :).

> x86 vs x86_64 isn't as clearcut because the x86 architecture is so
> badly designed - the relatively small number and lack of orthogonality
> of registers and lack of a 16-bit relative addressing mode makes the
> code relatively large for a 32-bit CISC architecture (it's close in
> size to the RISC SPARC).
> against it.

I was under the impression that x86-64 actually tried to resolve some
of the x86 cruft (e.g. adding more registers and increasing their
flexibility), though of course it's still rather constrained due to
backwards compatibility requirements.

- Robert