Robert Bradshaw wrote:
> On Dec 29, 2009, at 9:14 PM, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>
>> On 2009-Dec-29 23:57:13 +0000, "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kir...@onetel.net
>>> wrote:
>>> Peter Jeremy wrote:
>>> Yes it does. And I can understand why, since for 99% of programs,
>>> there is no
>>> advantage to 64-bit, but some disadvantages (larger pointers, let
>>> fit in cache
>>> etc).
>> OTOH, programs doing multi-precision integer math should benefit from
>> 64-bit arithmetic - and I would expect that at least some parts of
>> Sage would benefit from this.
>
> Yep, 64-bit based multi-precision can be up to 4 times as fast. And
> unlike most of the world, users of Sage use their computers to
> actually compute.

Yes. That's my main reason for suggesting not to bother with 32-bit on Open
Solaris.

I'm not suggesting we force 64-bit on anyone by hard-coding -m64 everywhere.
That would be the most stupid thing to do. But we simply don't waste time on
problems which only occur in 32-bit mode.

Currently Sage does not build on Open Solaris. Some unresolved issues are
specific to 32-bit (OpenSSL being one), some unresolved issues are specific to
64-bit (numerous spkg-install files).

But given a lack of resources, I believe we should concentrate building Sage in
a way likely to be of benefit to most people - i.e. a 64-bit build.

I'm a bit reluctant to fight with OpenSSL when a 64-bit Sage would be more
useful to me.

Dave