Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> Jaap Spies wrote:
>> Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

>> I now have:
>> j...@opensolaris:~/Downloads/build-gcc-4.4.2$  /usr/local/gcc-4.4.2/bin/gcc
>> -v
>> Using built-in specs.
>> Target: i386-pc-solaris2.11
>> Configured with: ../gcc-4.4.2/configure --prefix=/usr/local/gcc-4.4.2
>> --with-gmp=/usr/local --with-mpfr=/usr/local --with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld
>> --without-gnu-ld
>> --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran
>> Thread model: posix
>> gcc version 4.4.2 (GCC)
>> j...@opensolaris:~/Downloads/build-gcc-4.4.2$ which as
>> /usr/ccs/bin/as
>
> You might find 4.4.2 is ok. I'm not 100% sure on that one. There was a bug
> which
> gave some odd messages from the assembler in earlier release. It was supposed
> be fixed in the 4.3 series somewhere, but I still got it on 4.4.1. But perhaps
> it is fixed in 4.4.2.

You mentioned gcc-4.4.2 on the wikipage on Solaris.
But is you have a better suggestion?

>>> That should not (will not) work!!
>>>

>> It works because I move make out of the way!
>> mv make sunmake
>
> That's generally a bad idea to do that. It's much better to put a GNU version
> of
> make early in your path. I do something like
>
> mkdir $HOME/bins-for-sage
> cp /usr/sfw/bin/gtar $HOME/bins-for-sage/tar

OK, I have now:
j...@opensolaris:~$ echo $PATH
/export/home/jaap/sage-bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/export/home/jaap/bin:/usr/gnu/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin

> then after building GNU make (I don't think it is pre-installed), copy that to
> HOME/bins-for-sage, then finally

gmake is installed, in sage-bin I now have the right versions of make and tar.

> export PATH=$HOME/bins-for-sage:$PATH
>
> now the gnu versions of make and tar are in your path first.
>
> You may find upgrades will fail if you move the system tools.
>
> One something like HP-UX, that would fail miserably, as sometimes the kernel
> has
> to be rebuilt. In which case things would no doubt go terribly wrong if the
> version of make was not as expected.

Thanks,

Jaap