I note in a recent update to the top level README.txt, Minh has better
documented what SAGE_FORTRAN does - it is not as obvious as one might think.

I believe there is something else missing, though I'm only 99% sure of this.

The example shows:

export SAGE_FORTRAN=/exact/path/to/gfortran
export SAGE_FORTRAN_LIB=/path/to/fortran/libs/libgfortran.so

I believe if one is making a 64-bit build, then the path will be different, and
perhaps

SAGE_FORTRAN_LIB=/path/to/fortran/libs/sparcv9/libgfortran.so
(SPARC )

SAGE_FORTRAN_LIB=/path/to/fortran/libs/amd64/libgfortran.so
(Solaris x86/x64)

I'm not 100% sure of these, but when I tried a 64-bit build on Open Solaris
(x86), a 32-bit version of libgfortran.so was copied to $SAGE_ROOT/local/lib,
which I'm pretty sure would screw things up.

Normally Solaris knows the 64-bit versions of libraries are in 'sparcv9' or
'amd64' directories, but in this case, I believe the fact we are specifying an
absolute path to a file, we should specify the 64-bit library on 64-bit builds.

Dave