On Jan 15, 7:00 am, kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe Nils has a comment on whether library use of Maxima would make
> it easier to work around this problem?  I know he's hoping to do
> something with this at the Bug Days.

If we use maxima via a library interface and communicate exclusively
via strings, then the problem is exactly the same. However, if we move
to translating expression trees directly (which becomes a possibility
with the library interface) it is much easier to let new sage
variables correspond to a "(GENSYM)" [a guaranteed unique symbol] in
LISP and Maxima. The prototype on

already does this. There is no problem working with a var('sin") in
that code.

It has the slight problem that any question or error from maxima has
very low probability of actually referring to any identifiers you can
make sense of. You'll have to look up in a dictionary what they
correspond to on the sage side.