>>  (2) making the
>> assume() command available at top-level point to
>> sage.calculus.calculus.maxima.assume *would* make it so that the user
>> could easily compute the integral that's frustrating them.
>
> Again, (2) *was* the case since the beginning, and if it isn't now, it
> is because somebody screwed stuff up and introduced a *huge* bug into
> Sage recently.

So if things were designed to work this way, then I'm definitely
strongly in favor of just finding this bug and fixing it. The user
that wants to fiddle with the Maxima session that's doing the calculus
can do it the same way I did, if they really need to ...

Now, back to the original issue we were talking about in this thread.
:) I'm still in favor of William's idea of prefixing variables, and
doing a check to make sure they're unbound. Is there a simpler/better
way to do it, though?

-cc