As a number teorist who is more liklely to want Hermite and Smith
normal forms than an actual echelon form (i nthe usual linear algebra
over fields sense), I would be quite happy for echelon form of a
matrix over ZZ to promote to QQ, and have differently names functions
for Hermite and Smith (perhaps smith_form() and hermite_form()!)

John