John Cremona wrote:
As a number teorist who is more liklely to want Hermite and Smith
normal forms than an actual echelon form (i nthe usual linear algebra
over fields sense), I would be quite happy for echelon form of a
matrix over ZZ to promote to QQ, and have differently names functions
for Hermite and Smith (perhaps smith_form() and hermite_form()!)

Thanks for the encouragement! I suppose the first thing that we'll need to do is deprecate echelon_form usage for a long time, in accordance with our deprecation policy for major changes like this.

Having a .rref() command takes care of my immediate need, but I can be part of the effort to basically go through every place echelon is mentioned and hermite is mentioned and make the change.

Thanks,

Jason