I have run some of these tests on an imac running 10.6.2
in sage 4.3.1 (sage-4.3.1.a5, to be precise) and
got what seems to be much shorter times
(see below). I'm not sure but it seems that at least for the
coding theory modules, there does not seem to be a
timing problem.

For me at least, matrix theory seems to be the worst.
If there is anything that should be done in that case, I'm
not sure what that is.

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 4:54 PM, Robert Miller <r...@rlmiller.org> wrote:
> It's time to point our fingers at long doctests again. (I won't name
> names, but there are a few people who are mostly responsible for
> several of these files) Here are the eight files whose doctests
> (without -long) take the longest:
>
> devel/sage-main/sage/rings/polynomial/multi_polynomial_ideal.py
> 359 secs
> devel/sage-main/sage/coding/linear_code.py
> 190 secs

sage -t  "devel/sage/sage/coding/linear_code.py"
         [9.4 s]

> devel/sage-main/sage/coding/code_constructions.py
> 169 secs

sage -t  "devel/sage/sage/coding/code_constructions.py"
         [8.2 s]

> devel/sage-main/sage/plot/plot.py
> 160 secs
> devel/sage-main/sage/misc/functional.py
> 151 secs
> devel/sage-main/sage/symbolic/expression.pyx
> 136 secs
> devel/sage-main/sage/categories/coxeter_groups.py
> 132 secs
> devel/sage-main/sage/calculus/calculus.py
> 128 secs
>
> And here are the eight longest -long doctests:
>
> devel/sage-main/sage/rings/arith.py
> 506.284008026
> devel/sage-main/sage/rings/polynomial/multi_polynomial_ideal.py
> 449.287849188
> devel/sage-main/sage/coding/linear_code.py
> 329.004905939

sage -t --long "devel/sage/sage/coding/linear_code.py"
         [12.2 s]

> devel/sage-main/sage/functions/piecewise.py
> 290.274070024

sage -t --long "devel/sage-main/sage/functions/piecewise.py"
         [35.2 s]

> devel/sage-main/sage/coding/code_constructions.py
> 242.627745867

sage -t --long "devel/sage/sage/coding/code_constructions.py"
         [8.8 s]

> devel/sage-main/sage/schemes/elliptic_curves/ell_rational_field.py
> 234.913930178
> devel/sage-main/sage/schemes/elliptic_curves/sha_tate.py
> 222.056751013
> devel/sage-main/sage/groups/matrix_gps/matrix_group.py
> 204.564297915

sage -t --long "devel/sage-main/sage/groups/matrix_gps/matrix_group.py"
         [87.1 s]