On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 11:10 PM, Nathann Cohen <nathann.co...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody !!!
>
> I have a working version of the Coin package which enables me to use
> the CPLEX through Sage (this package contains code that makes
> interfacing Sage and Cplex much easier). This is great for me, and I
> would now like to send the corresponding patch, but this work by
> adding options to the "configure" script in Coin, and giving it the
> name of directories containing the CPLEX libraries.
>
> This means that at some point when installing the script, the user
> should be able to give it one or two lines of informations if he wants
> to be able to use CPLEX, and say that he does not care otherwise.
>
> How could this be done ? :-)

Obvious ideas:

1. Use an environment variable which you document.

2. Ask an interactive question during the spkg install process, but
make it so the question can be easily overridden with an environment
variable, so people doing automated installs (on many machines) won't
be annoyed, e.g.,

sage -i coin-...spkg

The environment variable SAGE_CPLEX_DIR was not set, so asking the
following interactive question.  Set SAGE_CPLEX_DIR to avoid having
this question be asked.

    Would you like to include support for CPLEX?  If so, give the
CPLEX directory here:

I'm not claiming the above is worded well.

 -- William

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics