Robert Bradshaw wrote:
On Jan 31, 2010, at 2:15 AM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
I was not actually suggesting shipping OpenSSL, as I knew there were license implications. But I think you would have to agree it is pretty annoying for someone to download Sage, start a build, then the build fail due to lack of OpenSSL. I do not believe this issue is unique to Solaris either. I very much doubt Cygwin, or many small linux distos come with OpenSSL, but it would need to be selected, then downloaded from a server. So one could not argue the operating system comes with it.

I just installed cygwin. Sure enough, there is no SSL support by default. You have to make a positive effort to select it. As such, I do not believe OpenSSL is a library that is part of the normal Cygwin distribution. Just selecting all the defaults will give you no OpenSSL libraries.

It seems to me, there are 3 choices.

1) Get the Python developers to agree to allow python to link against OpenSSL. Then you could

* Ship OpenSSL
* Get rid of a load of stuff.

That seems the best solution to me, IF they would agree. It's not one you can expect to do today though.

2) Stop supporting Sage on any platform which does not come with SSL as part of the normal operating system distribution - that would include both Solaris and Cygwin. That seems the dumbest idea.

3) Change Sage so that the hashlib module of python is not essential for a functioning Sage. That is I suspect the easiest option. I don't claim to understand how Sage builds fully, but I would have thought crypto support was not a requirement.

The only place I know it's used is to serve up secure notebooks, but I bet its used elsewhere too. I see another option

IF that is all, then that hardly seems a major loss of functionality. I bet most people don't use the secure notebooks anyway. I can see they have advantages though, especially for commercial users. I admit, that is something I would like myself, but I personally would just install OpenSSL.

4) Write our own hashlib using gnutls that gets installed if the SSL one isn't made. Whether or not this is sufficient depends on how much we use from it.

- Robert

Sounds logical to me, though I think I remember William saying gnutls was something like 100x slower than OpenSSL for something. I can't recall what however - it might have been a dream!

Dave