William Stein wrote:
On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 12:46 AM, Dr. David Kirkby
<david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
William Stein wrote:
Personally, I do not believe it is legal to ship OpenSSL and for Sage to
remain GPL, unless you could get the python developers agree to add an
clause that permits linking against OpenSSL.

http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html#LEGAL2

says. "If you are using GPL software developed by others, you may want to
ask the copyright holder for permission to use their software with OpenSSL."

Python is not GPL software.

Note that a few years ago, Sage did ship opensll and not ship the
gnutls stack.   Then a student in my Sage class pointed out that
openssl is licensed in a GPL-incompatible way, and that's when we
switched to GNUtls.
I agree with him/her.

Do you mean that you agree with the statement: "The Openssl license is
not GPL-compatible?"

Yes.

The FSF wrote the GPL, and the FSF say the OpenSSL license is not compatible with the GPL.

http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/index_html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses

"The license of OpenSSL is a conjunction of two licenses, one of them being the license of SSLeay. You must follow both. The combination results in a copyleft free software license that is incompatible with the GNU GPL."

I think this is likely to be a non-issue with regard to Solaris 10, as I discovered today that OpenSSL does ship as part of the Solaris operating system - it hides in /usr/sfw/lib. As such, we can use it, without breaching the GPL. (The only problem might be if the version shipped with Solaris is too old to work with Python).

For OpenSolaris, it is an issue, there is no OpenSSL library included.

I personally think the best approach will be to approach the developers of Open Solaris, Cygwin, and anything else which does not ship with OpenSSL to include it. Pointing out that it makes difficult to use GPL software, might well get them to include it by default.

I will try to peruse this avenue with Open Solaris. Since you have a contact at Sun, who wants to see Sage on Solaris, I suggest you raise the issue with him too.

Dave