Lots of progress this week.  Assuming you can get your Latex through
the tex4ht processor successfully then the script I have written will
quite faithfully convert the output to a Sage worksheet in sws
format.  Included graphics pass through to the worksheet and if you
write tikz/pgf graphics in your latex source then they pass through to
the worksheet as SVG graphics.  Limited support for combinatorial
graphs in tkz-graph format.  This should all be usable now, but the
interface to tex (two commands at the moment) could change, though it
should be easy to adapt to any changes.

Experimentally I can process large documents (ie with multiple
sections, subsections) into a tarball that can be installed in your
notebook as a collection of linked worksheets, at the price of having
to install it as pristine new user (in order to control the worksheet
numbering and linking).  My 900-page linear algebra text becomes
around 100 linked worksheets, comprising 700K as a tarball.  This is
posted as an example on the project wiki page, though it takes some
care to install properly.

Thought-du-jour is to have authors handle the tex4ht conversion
themselves, with a post-processing hook used to create a tarball.
Tarball gets posted at author's site or a Sage site.  Routines in the
notebook support pulling across the tarball, processing the contents
into worksheets, and they get installed in the user's notebook.  A
recent post here [1] asked about distributing a reference manual for
an optional package.  Though this was not the idea discussed there,
something similar with ReST format files might work along similar
lines to extend the library of reference materials available to users
in the notebook.

Rob

Wiki Page w/ Examples:  http://wiki.sagemath.org/devel/LatexToWorksheet

Script, readme, support files:  http://bitbucket.org/rbeezer/tex2sws/