Bill Hart wrote:
On 22 Feb, 11:27, "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
This came up on the thread "mercurial on t2" but I thought I'd start a new
thread on it.

I'd propose that we include in any binary distribution gcc's C, C++ and Fortran
shared libraries. They would be placed in $SAGE_LOCAL/lib. Then we can ensure
that people will run Sage with what libraries Sage was built with, rather than
what versions they may or may not have lying around.

Comments?

Dave

> Are we sure this would work? Won't those libraries depend on what
> kernel is installed, etc, etc?
>
> I'm completely ignorant on this, so may be talk out my proverbial.
>
> Bill.

I would not have thought so, though I don't claim to be an expert on this.

I just checked the sage-4.3.2-linux-64bit-ubuntu_9.10-x86_64-Linux binary, and find the fortran library libgfortran.so is already there, as otherwise one would need to have gfortran installed to run Sage. Since that is not causing any particular kernel issues, I doubt the C or C++ libraries would either. (As always, there can always be unwelcome surprises.)

The file COPYING.LIB in the gcc source distribution specifically allows copying the libraries for the purposes of running code on other systems, without including the source code for your proprietary program. I don't think the gcc developers would bother if the version of the library depended on the kernel version in use on the other system.

Of course, we already have to produce different binaries for different Linux distributions. So I'd suggest just copying the gcc libraries from whatever system one built Sage on.

The libraries I put in the Solaris binary were copied from a Sun running the very first Solaris 10 release (03/2005). The kernel on both t2 and my other Solaris box are both late 2009. So even with 4.5 years of kernel updates, the gcc libraries still work. (I know Linux tends to have poorer backward compatibility than Solaris, but I doubt that would be an issue even on Linux).

Dave