On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 06:28:16 -0600
Jason Grout <jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:

> On 02/28/2010 02:02 PM, Burcin Erocal wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After the recent thread about Google Summer of Code [1], I set up a
> > wiki page to collect project ideas:
> >
> > http://wiki.sagemath.org/gsoc10
> >
> > [1] http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/t/8f61382c855ddb09
> >

> > The application window for mentoring organizations opens in a week,
> > so we need to be quick to make this page look better. ATM, it's
> > just a copy of last years page with minor changes.
> >
> > If you think you can spare a few hours a week helping newcomers find
> > their way around the Sage library and the development process,
> > please volunteer to be a mentor. Most people already do this by
> > answering messages on the sage-support list. This is a great
> > opportunity to get a paid developer working on your favorite
> > feature request.
> >

> > Feel free to add new project ideas or more text to make the already
> > listed ideas well defined. There are a few guidelines I copied from
> > the GSOC FAQ at the end of the page.
> >

> I spent some time over the weekend doing a partial overhaul of
> http://wiki.sagemath.org/devel/SageTasks to have more specific tasks,
> and adding my own Numerical Analysis tasks.
>
> It seemed that there are lots of pages scattered around that have
> "project ideas" on them (e.g., a notebook todo/project list, the
> SageTasks page, now this page, etc.)  It would be great to
> consolidate them into a single "Sage Project Ideas" page.

I agree that the SageTasks page needs more organization. I always had
the feeling that it was more or less specific to the notebook and
mostly a place to quickly jot down ideas.

As long as there is a central page to go to for project ideas, I don't
think it's a good idea to put everything on one page. Topic specific
lists also help people focus on the things they are interested, more
knowledgeable in. I don't think I'll ever have time to figure out how
to contribute to the notebook for example.

This new page has a different purpose however. The GSOC has specific
criteria, a full time developer/student should be able to complete the
projects in about 3 months. Besides just listing ideas, we need to
outline possible checkpoints or evaluation criteria for the tasks.

Here is the link again:

http://wiki.sagemath.org/gsoc10

We still need to write detailed specifications for most tasks, or move
them to the various other lists if they are not already there.

Now that Peter Jeremy has also volunteered as a mentor, we'll
definitely be applying. We can recycle most of the application material
from last year. The only thing left is to prepare a good projects list.

Please take a look and contribute.

Cheers,
Burcin