On 2 March 2010 19:01, Robert Bradshaw <rober...@math.washington.edu> wrote:

> Just a thought, would knocking out this important list of bugs be a good
> goal for Sage 5.0?
>
> - Robert

It is certainly unusual the way Sage version numbers go. In just about
any other software project Assuming the version is of the form X.Y.Z,

X is incremented if there is major new functionality
Y is incremented if there is added, but less major functionality
Z is incremented when bug fixes are made.

I think someone might be a bit disappointed if they update Sage to
5.0.0, without seeing some tangible new functionality.

(I did think of requesting it was called 5.0 when the Solaris port was
finished, but guess that would not be too popular!)

Of course, software called be called by the names of birds, plants,
big cats (as Apple do),  or anything else you choose. But the way most
software numbering works is that X in incremented when there is
significant new functionality added, and Z incremented for bug fixes.

Dave