> Personally I have a bit of a problem understanding why I need to
> worry about a program starting up in less than 2 s, when I might run
> something on it which will take at least one order of magnitude
> longer, and probably several order of magnitudes longer.

I can only say why it matters for me:

mar...@rubey-laptop:~/lib/fricas/target/i686-pc-linux/bin$ time echo "2+2" |
./AXIOMsys
Checking for foreign routines
AXIOM=NIL
spad-lib="/lib/libspad.so"
                 FriCAS (AXIOM fork) Computer Algebra System
                         Version: FriCAS 2010-01-08
              Timestamp: Monday February 22, 2010 at 13:22:25
   Issue )copyright to view copyright notices.
   Issue )summary for a summary of useful system commands.
   Issue )quit to leave FriCAS and return to shell.

(1) -> Warning: HyperTeX macro table not found

   (1)  4
                                                        Type: PositiveInteger
(2) ->
real    0m0.797s
user    0m0.404s
sys     0m0.076s

mar...@rubey-laptop:~/Documents/sage-4.1.1-linux-Ubuntu_9.04-i686-Linux$ time
echo "2+2;" | ./sage
| Sage Version 4.1.1, Release Date: 2009-08-14                       |
| Type notebook() for the GUI, and license() for information.        |
sage: sage:
Exiting SAGE (CPU time 0m0.26s, Wall time 0m0.84s).

real    0m18.403s
user    0m5.144s
sys     0m1.304s

Martin