On Mar 3, 2010, at 7:45 AM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

William Stein wrote:
On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 7:56 PM, Dr. David Kirkby
<david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
    Right now it takes over 1.5 seconds every time.
wst...@sage:~$ time sage -c "print factor(2010)"
2 * 3 * 5 * 67
real    0m1.535s
user    0m1.140s
sys     0m0.460s
Personaly I don't find that too excessive for a large tool. How long does
Gimp take to start?
That's irrelevant.  What matters is how long Maple, Mathematica,
Matlab, Maxima, Pari, and Magma take to start.
After repeatedly running the command on sage.math, this is how things stabilize:
Pari           0.030s
Python      0.046s
Maple          0.111s
Maxima         0.456s
Mathematica    0.524s
Matlab         0.844s
Magma          0.971s
Sage           1.658s

Fair point.

Personally I have a bit of a problem understanding why I need to worry about a program starting up in less than 2 s, when I might run something on it which will take at least one order of magnitude longer, and probably several order of magnitudes longer.

I often run things that take an order of magnitude less time to run-- e.g. I'm reading a paper and want to try out a quick example to get a feel for something, or to factor (or even multiply) several digit numbers. It also makes it prohibitive to be used as a (non-persistent) web-service backend. I think partially it's a perception thing--one could argue the same about a web page--why should I worry about it taking 2 seconds to load/render if I'm going to spend an order of magnitude more time reading it? Also, on that note, people's very first exposure to Sage is waiting for it to start up--we don't want that to be memorable :)