There are the Wester tests, which we ship and test (the ones we can do at least)

http://hg.sagemath.org/sage-main/file/8c4f10086e20/sage/calculus/wester.py

I believe there is also some randomized testing that is done in the category code that takes random elements and verifies they have the correct properties (e.g. commutativity, associativity, etc.) that has exposed some bugs. As I've mentioned before, internal consistency checks can be better than comparing against commercial programs, so that way anyone can run and verify them, and they often illustrate interesting math (e.g. verification of deep, abstract theorems for specific examples).

As the topic of GSoC projects has come up, note also

http://code.google.com/opensource/gsoc/2008/faqs.html#0.1_doc_proposals

which doesn't rule something like this out, but is worth noting.

- Robert