On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 10:28 PM, Mike Hansen <mhan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 6:33 PM, Minh Nguyen <nguyenmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Dima,
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> if it's PARI-dependent, it makes sense to upgrade PARI to the latest
>>> version.
>>
>> Perhaps upgrading Pari could be a goal for Sage 5.0?
>
> I think upgrading to the latest stable release is easier than
> upgrading to unstable (which Nick tried).  There is a new PARI 2.3.5
> spkg at #8453.

+1.  Excellent.   Based on conversations with Karim Belebas, I learned
that Pari stable is *designed* to maintain library level
compatibility.  The unstable version is allowed to possibly massively
break library level compatibility.   Releases of both versions are
supposed to be suitable for general use.    Mike's comments above are
hopefully right on target.

Upgrading Pari is already one of the listed goals for sage-5.0 (it's
in the list of tickets at trac that I linked to).

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics