On Thu, 4 Mar 2010, William Stein wrote:

> > We might make a PPA for Ubuntu.  If someone is interested in an easy way to
> > install Sage via dpkg, that might be the best option at this point.
> >
> > I agree that removing sage 3.0.5 (or whatever version it is) from Debian is
> > probably best, since our first piece of advice to anyone is to uninstall it
> > and install Sage from scratch.
> >

> Yes, +1 to removing sage 3.0.5 from Debian.
>
> But how do we make that happen?

Sorry for the slow reply, I've been quite busy of late.

I suspect that your problem is actually that the Sage package migrated to
Ubuntu Karmic, which is a release lots of people use.  Debian unstable has
essentially no users in comparison.

It's possible that moving the Debian package from unstable to experimental
would help (completely removing it from Debian will mean that if someone
decides to update the Debian Sage package, we'll need to go through the
year-long copyright review process again.  That review process is what
killed the Debian sagemath package -- Upgrading during the review process
sends you to the back of the queue, and by a year after my original
submission, I had left MIT graduate school to start a startup, and I no
longer had the time to upgrade past a year of Sage development).  But the
Debian unstable package is not important -- we should focus on the 50x
larger problem of Karmic.

As I mentioned on the bug report opened today at
<http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=573538>, I'm talking to
a member of the Ubuntu stable release update team who I know to see what
the procedure would be for getting the package removed from Karmic.

I'll keep this thread updated as that progresses.

(Please note I am not directly subscribed to sage-devel, so you will need
to directly CC me or debian-sage@ if you want me to see your replies in
real time).

        -Tim Abbott