On Mar 13, 2010, at 5:48 PM, Tim Abbott wrote:

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010, Alex Ghitza wrote:

However, they did say that given the circumstances, it might be possible to push through a major update to the package to Karmic when once one is
available.

So I think this leaves us at "we need to update the package".  Sigh.

Maybe we should just take whatever version of Sage is in Ubuntu right
now and patch it so that running sage simply exits with something like

THIS VERSION OF SAGE IS RIDICULOUSLY OUT-OF-DATE!

Please download a binary for the latest version of Sage at

      http://www.sagemath.org

or build it yourself from source.

If you insist on running this version, type

      ./sage -yes_i_know_its_ridiculous_but_i_want_to_anyway

What do you think?  Too over-the-top?

I'd be very surprised if the Ubuntu archive team would accept that sort of
stable release update.

Would they accept an "update" of the download-binary-from-sagemath.org type?

- Robert