On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Simon King <simon.k...@nuigalway.ie> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On 29 Mrz., 00:31, "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
>> That's not going to work until python is installed. Why not make it a shell
>> script instead - it would work before python is built, irrespective of
>> whether
>> someone has python installed on their machine.
>
> For the application that I have in mind -- namely in spkg-install for
> optional packages, and perhaps for upgrading (so that one needs to
> find out whether one component is outdated) -- it is granted that
> python is present, because at that point Sage is already built.
>
> If I understand correctly, the tasks are
>  - to test whether SAGE_ROOT/spkg/installed/ contains a file whose
> name begins with a given string, and
>  - if there are several such files, to extract and compare the version
> numbers and return the file name that belongs to the highest version
> number.
>
> I have no idea how to accomplish the second task with a shell script
> (I am pretty much of a newbie in shell scripts). And even for the
> first task I could imagine that there is a problem of platform
> specific shell commands (but you certainly know better than I).

Moreover, even if you could, a lot of people probably couldn't read the results.

Also, another assumption that is fair to make is that most Sage users
are fluent in Python.

> For extacting the version numers, can we assume that any spkg "foo"
> will have a name including the version number like foo-
> x[.y[.z[...]]].spkg, where x,y,z,... are numbers, except for the last
> one, which can be of the form 'p' plus a number?

Is that assumption true of all current standard and optional spkg's?
You can check as easily as I.  If so, we could make it a requirement.
However, if we do, then we *must* add logic to verify this to the
"sage -pkg" command, since making it a requirement by putting it on
some wiki page somewhere, won't work.

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics