Hi!

Related with #8523, I'd like to know how one tests whether some
package (here: database_gap) is already installed. I don't care what
exact version it is.

I understood that the script SAGE_ROOT/spkg/standard/newest_version
can be used. I was reading somewhere that this script is supposed to
be called in SAGE_ROOT/spkg. But calling
  ./newest_version database_gap
fails as follows:

> standard/newest_version database_gap
 /bin/ls: cannot access database_gap-*.spkg: No such file or directory

> standard/newest_version optional/database_gap
/bin/ls: cannot access optional/database_gap-*.spkg: No such file or
directory

But:
> ls optional/database_gap-4.4.1*
optional/database_gap-4.4.10.spkg  optional/database_gap-4.4.12.spkg

So, I ended up using it directly in SAGE_ROOT/spkg/optional/, which
works:
> ../standard/newest_version database_gap
database_gap-4.4.12

But is this really how it is supposed to work?

Another problem: It may happen that someone installs an optional
package in a way that there is no .spkg file in SAGE_ROOT/spkg/
optional/. Instead, there only is a file in SAGE_ROOT/spkg/
installed/., but this file does not have an .spkg extension.

Shouldn't SAGE_ROOT/spkg/standard/newest_version better look for (non-
spkg) files in SAGE_ROOT/spkg/installed/? Or what else can one do to
test if a package is installed?

Best regards,
Simon