On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Simon King <simon.k...@nuigalway.ie> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Related with #8523, I'd like to know how one tests whether some
> package (here: database_gap) is already installed. I don't care what
> exact version it is.
>
> I understood that the script SAGE_ROOT/spkg/standard/newest_version
> can be used.

No.  That script returns the newest version of the spkg that is
*available* to be installed in the users spkg/standard directory.

> I was reading somewhere that this script is supposed to
> be called in SAGE_ROOT/spkg. But calling
>  ./newest_version database_gap
> fails as follows:
>
>> standard/newest_version database_gap
>  /bin/ls: cannot access database_gap-*.spkg: No such file or directory
>
>> standard/newest_version optional/database_gap
> /bin/ls: cannot access optional/database_gap-*.spkg: No such file or
> directory
>
> But:
>> ls optional/database_gap-4.4.1*
> optional/database_gap-4.4.10.spkg  optional/database_gap-4.4.12.spkg
>
> So, I ended up using it directly in SAGE_ROOT/spkg/optional/, which
> works:
>> ../standard/newest_version database_gap
> database_gap-4.4.12
>
> But is this really how it is supposed to work?

The directory SAGE_ROOT/spkg/installed contains a file for each spkg
that was installed, that contains metainformation about when that
package was installed.  I think you should look at that.  The contents
of spkg/standard and spkg/optional aren't guaranteed to tell you
anything useful at all.

> Another problem: It may happen that someone installs an optional
> package in a way that there is no .spkg file in SAGE_ROOT/spkg/
> optional/. Instead, there only is a file in SAGE_ROOT/spkg/
> installed/., but this file does not have an .spkg extension.
>
> Shouldn't SAGE_ROOT/spkg/standard/newest_version better look for (non-
> spkg) files in SAGE_ROOT/spkg/installed/? Or what else can one do to
> test if a package is installed?

No.  newest_version is irrelevant.  One should look at spk/installed/

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics