I haven't looked at the underlying code, but my impression is that
this sort of thing is unavoidable to some extent.

MatrixSpace(QQ['t'], 8).random_element() has the option of using
relatively well optimised underlying code for elements of QQ['t'].

MatrixSpace(QQ['t'].fraction_field(), 8).random_element() might use
generic code for elements of QQ['t'].fraction_field().

Sebastian Pancratz wrote some very fast basic code for rational
function fields by representing the elements as quotients of flint
integer polynomials:

http://www.pancratz.org/code.html

It probably isn't being used here (though I haven't checked).

Bill.