What version of sage are you running?  If it was 4.3.5 then you could
do the following.  Start in the directory where sage is installed
(usually called SAGE_ROOT).  I assume that this sage is in your path.

sage -clone ratfunc  ## wait a while
cd devel/sage-ratfunc
sage -hg qinit
sage -hg qimport
http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/raw-attachment/ticket/4000/trac4000_433_combined.patch
sage -hg qpush
sage -b

and now when you start sage you'll have the patched version running.
(When I did this with version 4.4 it was the qpush stage which failed
since the patch would not merge cleanly onto that version).

when you have finished you can just do

sage -b main

and you'll be back to te main, unpatched, branch.

John