Hi all,

I have changed the subject to 'partially solved' because i'm guessing
that some people must be as naive as me, and following this thread
without realizing the following simple fact. (It came to me by looking
at the name of the patch we've been discussing).

Partial solution : work with ZZ['t'].fraction_field() instead of
QQ['t'].fraction_field(). Then it all works very very fast !

This deserves to be called a "partial" solution inasmuch as sage
should not behave like this, but from the point of view of a user,
it's pretty satisfactory. Every now and then i'll need to convert some
of my data (direct coercion is not always possible), a minor price to
pay.

Here's an auxilliary question. I was running the same tests this
morning on a different system. The same phenomenon occured, but it
never took longer than 5 seconds to square an 8x8 random matrix
instead of 17s. The 'slow' system was a 2-year-old macbook with sage
4.3, the 'fast' system a slightly more recent mac mini with sage
4.3.2.

Anyone can explain the difference in speed ?

thanks all,
Pierre