On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 09:29:23PM +1000, Minh Nguyen wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 8:54 PM, Minh Nguyen <nguyenmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ;;; Note: Scanning #P"binary-ecl/sumcon.o"
> > An error occurred during initialization:
> > Filesystem error with pathname "/tmp/ECLINIT.c".
> > Either
> >  1) the file does not exist, or
> >  2) we are not allow to access the file, or
> >  3) the pathname points to a broken symbolic link..
>
> On IRC, Willem pointed out that this might be due to the dozens of
> temp files under /tmp/ on t2.math starting with the name
> "/tmp/ECLINIT".
>
> 03:58 < wjp> mvngu: that ecl/maxima t2 thing sounds like it's having a
> tempfile
>              problem... /tmp on t2 is filled with /tmp/ECLINIT* files
> belonging
>              to 'juanjo', including a /tmp/ECLINIt.c that is mentioned in your
>              mail
> 04:00 < mvngu> wjp: That's a relief! Thanks for the heads up!
> 04:02 < wjp> it does sound like a bug that it's using a temp-file like that

As a follow-up, it seems that mkstemp on solaris doesn't have much
imagination... When called many times on the same template (/tmp/ECLINITXXXXXX
in this case) in a single run, it creates filenames like /tmp/ECLINITXiaGon,
/tmp/ECLINITYiaGon, /tmp/ECLINITZiaGon, ... only incrementing one letter. After
a few iterations, it reaches /tmp/ECLINIT.iaGon, and ECL then transforms this
into /tmp/ECLINIT.c, stripping off what it thinks is the extension.

Likely this means that this needs to be fixed inside ECL in some way. (Possibly
by not stripping off existing extensions in this tempfile transform code.
Maybe.)

-Willem Jan