On 05/11/10 10:05 PM, William Stein wrote:
On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 3:42 PM, Dr. David Kirkby
<david.kir...@onetel.net>  wrote:
On 05/11/10 07:56 AM, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 6:17 AM, Dr. David Kirkby
<david.kir...@onetel.net<mailto:david.kir...@onetel.net>>  wrote:

    Has the version of ECL been updated recently?

I insist that this is not a regression, it is just a misinterpretation
on our side of how mkstemp() should work (adding characters other than
letters seems stupid but it is specified as a possibility), so reverting
wouldn't help

    3) A long term solution is to fix the bug in ECL.

I can produce a patch but it will take me some time.

Could you please confirm that you received these emails, because some of
my answers do not seem to permeate into your responses.

Juanjo

I got one other email from you - with a link to the bug report on
sourceforge. If there was another, then I did not see it.

I understand ECL assumes there is something special about the dot in a
filename. You have assume it is an extension, when in fact it need not be,
as POSIX does not prohibit the use of a . in a temp file.

I think a short term solution is the ecl install script is sage is modified
to remove the /tmp/ECL files once the build has finished. Of course, that
will fail if two people building ECL at the same time, but it *may* be ok if
there is only one person building it, though I'm not sure from your
description.

Two people at the same time wouldn't be a problem because of file
permissions, unless one of those people is root.

  -- William

Can you explain why? It is not obvious to me how this is true. Perhaps I mis-understand the problem.

I can't see what difference being root makes - the fact the files are created write-only to the user name that created them means another user else can't delete them. So whether or not root created them seems irrelevant to me.

In any case, one would have to be pretty stupid to build Sage as root. The root account should be used only when it is needed - something I know many Linux users seem to ignore.

Dave