On May 25, 1:50 pm, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 10:41 AM, Robert Bradshaw
>
> <rober...@math.washington.edu> wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> > I just had a new spkg (rightly) rejected because it didn't have a changelog
> > entry in SPKG.txt , as specified by [1], Does anyone know why are we
> > manually keeping a text changelog when the files under our control are
> > already under revision control?
>
> Because of "Abshoff Momentum"?     I can think of no other reason.
>
> I think this is silly.
>
> It makes more sense to reject a patch because the revision history
> comment is bad.  Right now, with our dual system, the hg history
> comments can easily be bad, since one always has the SPKG.txt to back
> it up.  So there are real negative consequences to the current
> confusing system.
>
>  -- William

Although I have to say that for someone looking to update an spkg, it
is very helpful to have the "big picture" without scrolling through HG
comments (esp. for HG-phobes), similarly to how it is quite useful to
have the changelog.txt/HISTORY.txt file even though we have the HG log
for Sage proper.  It is much easier to look quickly to see what's been
going on.

Say, if one has a text editor open but has no interest in opening a
terminal window and remembering the commands that get their HG
working... and don't even get me started on trying to add HG from
inside Sage to my PATH, that shouldn't be *required* to see what has
happened in an spkg at the highest level.

In fact, I'd say the solution is to start requiring better HG messages
in *addition to* the spkg upgrades, just like has been happening
slowly on the main patches.  I'll also point out that someone said HG
comments sometimes only show up one line at a time, or default display
only one line, or something.

So let's keep both, in the name of EVEN better documentation, but make
it clear both should be good.

Or am I the only one who finds SPKG.txt changes helpful?

- kcrisman