On May 25, 2010, at 11:26 AM, Jason Grout wrote:

On 5/25/10 12:41 PM, Robert Bradshaw wrote:
Hi all,

I just had a new spkg (rightly) rejected because it didn't have a
changelog entry in SPKG.txt , as specified by [1], Does anyone know why
are we manually keeping a text changelog when the files under our
control are already under revision control?

+1 to just making the commit messages more descriptive, as well as insisting that things like:

Applying a patch; this patch should be removed when this package is updated because the patch has been applied upstream

are documented in the SPKG.txt.

This information is very useful, and probably better not in a changelog, where it will scroll off the bottom and be forgotten. I'd be up for a requirement that every patch we make should be listed in SPKG.txt, with a bit of explanation of why (and, when, if ever, it will become unnecessary), right next to the version information. That'd be helpful.

- Robert