On Jul 20, 1:58 pm, rjf <fate...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The issue to me is the extent to which a person in such a position is
> unfairly exploited.

Right.  As kcrisman says, this doesn't happen that much in math: we
don't have tasks like sequencing DNA or building circuit boards that
we can foist off on post-docs or grad students.  Also, in math, post-
docs are commonly funded by departments/universities, not through a
senior faculty member's grant.  So they are hired by the department,
not by an individual, and there is usually no direct supervisor for
the math postdoc (unless you count the chair of the department). There
are likely to be unofficial sponsors who encouraged the department to
hire the person in the first place, but no official supervisor.

As a consequence, a math postdoc does some teaching -- sometimes a
reduced load -- and gets an opportunity to work on research projects
with people in the department.  They also are paid somewhat
reasonably: they pay better than no-teaching post-docs funded by the
NSF, and much better than those funded by NSERC in Canada.

Finally, since I think that the situation is okay right now, if in the
future a particular department got a reputation for exploiting its
post-docs, it would have a harder time hiring people.  Word gets
around pretty fast.

--
John