On Jul 20, 5:17 pm, Volker Braun <vbraun.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 20, 6:51 pm, John H Palmieri <jhpalmier...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > [...] if in the
> > future a particular department got a reputation for exploiting its
> > post-docs, it would have a harder time hiring people.  Word gets
> > around pretty fast.
>
> I would like to shoot down your blind faith in market efficiency :-)
>
> http://www.chemistry-blog.com/2010/06/22/something-deeply-wrong-with-...

Well, this is a blog about chemistry, and for all I know, this sort of
thing is (or was) common for chemistry post-docs.  Also, since hiring,
job expectations, etc., for postdocs are set at the department level
in math, I still believe that makes it harder for this to happen.  You
also snipped out my comment that "since I think the situation in math
is okay now", it would be hard for a department to start exploiting
its postdocs.

The job market in math is very far from perfect, but I think the way
we treat our postdocs is far from the weakest point right now.  From
everything I've heard, I would much rather be a post-doc (or grad
student) in math than in a lab science.  Anyway, this is all getting
way off topic...

--
John