I recently updated to sage-4.5.3, binary version, and did a reinstall
and update of R from source.
(For those who haven't seen my earlier posts, if you have the correct
development libraries installed, this enables png, jpeg and x11
extensions in sage's R.)

sudo sage -f r
and then:
sudo sage -R
install.packages('automap')

However, I got a failure stating that sp couldn't be satisfied.
After a lot of fiddling around, I discovered that the newest version
of sp requires R >= 2.11.0

ERROR: this R is version 2.10.1, package 'sp' requires R >= 2.11.0

Installing an older version of sp from a downloaded file removes all
errors.
sudo sage -R CMD INSTALL /home/joal/Source/Mathematics/Sage/
sp_0.9-66.tar.gz
sudo sage -R
install.packages('automap')

Any chance we can update the version of R in sage?

Joal Heagney