On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 15:08:12 -0700
William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 7:41 AM, kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>
> >> Not to be overly pessimistic, but one metric we do not collect,
> >> but Google do for us, is the number of posts each month to
> >> sage-devel. There has been a very dramatic falloff this year
> >> compared to all other years.
> >>
> >> http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/about?hl=en
> >> http://groups.google.com/group/sage-support/about?hl=en
> >> I think the number of posts to sage-support is more worrying than
> >> to sage-devel, but I believe the combination rather shows that we
> >> are unlikely to find a lot of developers taking on Burcin's
> >> proposals.
> >
> > Hmm, that is interesting.  I don't know if it means anything (it
> > might), but it is interesting.  Thanks for that.
>
> I take it to mean that Sage is now a mature project with roughly the
> right number of developers.

I strongly disagree with this. Although I see that you also support the
fact that we need more developers as a follow up to this comment.

I am quite disappointed by the fact that the sage-devel list has turned
out to be a place to discuss how to compile mathematical software on
various platforms, instead of how to do mathematics with the computer.

This is partly because there are now specialized lists such as
sage-algebra, sage-combinat-devel, sage-nt. Unfortunately, those lists
are not used much either.

I agree that the distribution part of Sage is very important, since it
gives a lot people easy access to many open source mathematics
packages. The developers and the maintainers of these packages should
have a platform to share experiences and learn from each other.

However, I don't think sage-devel is the right place for this. Perhaps
a sage-porting list would be more useful.

> That said, everybody should keep
> recruiting new people as aggressively as they can, since developers
> come and *go*, as they have children, have to finish a thesis, get
> involved in other projects, finish making the contributions to sage
> they find interesting, etc.

+1

Not only because people "come and go". Sage is getting larger everyday
and many of the current developers are already spending more time on it
than they should. (I should be writing my thesis ATM.)

Cheers,
Burcin