On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Dr. David Kirkby
<david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
> On 10/21/10 11:23 AM, Burcin Erocal wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 13:04:56 +0100
>> "Dr. David Kirkby"<david.kir...@onetel.net>  wrote:
>>
>>> Several categories have nobody at all assigned to them. Since I'm an
>>> admin on trac I can see this. These include:
>>>
>>>   * cygwin
>>>   * debian-package
>>>   * distribution
>>>   * dsage
>>>   * experimental package
>>>   * factorization (this one *really* surprises me)
>>>   * msvc
>>>   * optional packages
>>>   * packages
>>>   * performance
>>>   * PLEASE CHANGE
>>>   * relocation
>>
>> I suggest merging
>>
>>  - packages, optional packages, experimental packages
>>
>>        under the title "packages"
>
> But it's a bit silly really, as everything is a package. I wonder if all 3
> should be removed myself.

But not all packages are on the same footing--the Sage library being
an excellent example of something that's much more than "just another
package." By "packaging" I would think of tickets involving the spkg
install system, spkg checks, etc. that require compiler and shell
scripting skills. In this sense, all packages are more similar than,
e.g. number theory vs. packaging.

>> and
>>
>>  - "AIX or HP-UX ports", build, cygwin, debian-package, distribution,
>>    FreeBSD, msvc, porting, relocation, solaris, spkg-check
>>
>>        under the title "distribution"
>
> I don't thinking lumping those lot together under the title "distribution"
> would be sensible myself. It's would make finding things of interest even
> slower. Especially given some of those have people that get notified about
> specific areas, but don't want to get inundated with tons of messages.

Perhaps porting would be  a better title--and I could see the
justification for splitting Windows from non-Windows, but finer
granularity than that would not be of interest to the vast majority of
people.

- Robert