No offense, but everyone who has written so far in this thread is
speaking only to people who know what the word "toolchain" means in
this context.  Unfortunately, Apple doesn't provide a fortran
compiler, and setting one up for those who don't know that word is
nontrivial and goes against the (in my opinion, more important) Sage
philosophy of "batteries included".  It's particularly annoying that
on older Macs gfortran isn't even available so we need g95, but that
is also how it is, and we definitely still get people asking about
this platform as well.

Basically, someone who would like to have a brand spankin' new Sage
they can call their own (as opposed to a binary download) should not
have needless hurdles placed in front of them.  Should we provide
gcc?  No - downloading Xcode or installing it is a little annoying,
but fairly straightforward even for newbies, because Apple wants to
make it easy for them.   But fortran is another matter.

Pablo, are you suggesting that sage -sdist would make two different
types of source distributions, one for Mac, one for non-Mac?  That
could be confusing, but I guess as long as they were (automatically,
in the sdist process) named VERY clearly, and it was VERY obvious on
the download site which was which (and why there is a difference),
that could be a solution (though it would add some responsibilities to
someone, either web person or release manager).   But certainly 33 MB
is nothing to sniff at, particularly in situations with low
bandwidth.  What does that (piece of Sage) compress to in the .tgz?

- kcrisman