On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Volker Braun <vbraun.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > downloading Xcode or installing it is a little annoying,
>> > but fairly straightforward even for newbies, because Apple wants to
>> > make it easy for them.   But fortran is another matter.
>
> I just tried http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBinariesMacOS on OSX 10.6
> and all I had to do was click on the link and then click through the
> standard installer. Its easier than installing Xcode...

Please also try on PPC OS X 10.4, 10.5, and 10.6, and also Intel OS X
10.4, 10.5, 10.6, both 32 and 64-bit, then report back.
That's what the Sage fortran spkg handles.

>>    (1) Install development tools that are completely standard to
>> install on your OS.  These days, on Linux, this includes GCC = Gnu
>> Compiler Collection, which includes Fortran, no problem.   On OS X,
>> installing Fortran is far from standard, since Apple doesn't care
>> about it, and there are several variants out there.
>
> How about Windows? There you'll always have to download cygwin and a
> bunch of cygwin packages to get off the ground.

I oscillate in my hopes about cygwin... There are other approaches to
Sage on Windows, e.g.,:

      http://windows.sagemath.org/

Regarding fortran, for a "Microsoft Visual C++" version of Sage, I
will just get rid of Fortran (and Lisp) entirely, and not bother with
building anything currently in Sage that depends on them...

> And Sage definitely
> must not ship the cygwin.dll as it needs to be unique on the system...

Fortunately this is not true anymore. See
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2009-12/msg00027.html
where it says "- Multiple Cygwin installations can co-exist on a
machine, as long as you keep them separate.".