> Hi folks,
>
> for sime time now, there is a tendency of the Sage distribution to
> become unmaintanable (only minutes ago, I read the upteenth message
> thread and trac ticket about the recurrent Suse Linux 11.x/Arch Linux
> bash/readline issue ...).
>
> There are several possibilities/ways to go.
>
> One way I explored recently, was to set up Gentoo Prefix on my Mac
> (see http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/index.xml), and
> then try to install gentoo-on-sage onto it (see
> http://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo). Although I never had used
> Gentoo before, and OS X 10.4 is not anymore supported out-of-the-box from
> Gentoo Prefix (e.g. I had to manually add two more patches to the recent
> gcc-apple "ebuilds"), I essentially got through the bootstrapping with
> success (resulting in a fully
> working Gentoo Prefix "base system" of about 100 packages), and got
> the sage-on-gentoo overlay integrated far enough to see how many more
> package would be needed (some 150 packages more). That's a total of
> roughly 250 packages. But remembering that the current Sage
> distribution has 97 spkg's, I consider this still a very manageable
> number. And it really means "all batteries included", including a gcc,
> bash, and everything --- except an OS kernel.
>
> Conceptually, those 250 packages do work on a Linux kernel, a Darwin
> kernel (Mac OS), BSD kernels, Solaris/Illumos, and the Windows NT
> "kernel" (see the infomation about Gentoo Prefix at the link I gave).
> In practice, although many of the "latter" 150 packages do not build
> yet out-of-the-box in the "prefix" setting, we already know they
> essentially do --- since this works for the Sage distribution. And the
> remaining 50 packages or so do not sound as to be an unsurmountable
> obstacle (looking closely, the "hard" ones are either in the base
> system or in the sage-on-gentoo overlay, so already addressed).
>
> As for a better maintanability of the Sage project, the goal would be
> to start with the 100 packages of the Gentoo Prefix base system, get
> as many packages as possible into the Gentoo Prefix "full" system
> (again, say, another 100 or more of the 250), and maintain only an as
> slim as possible "sage-on-gentoo-prefix" overlay, where only the (say,
> mathematically) really interesting and/or challenging packages remain
> (three or four dozens in total, not more).
>
> In practice however, there are some more obstacles --- e.g. the
> "rolling releases" nature of Gentoo (and thus Gentoo Prefix), or the
> currently less-than-perfect support of the latter to relocate its
> installation (and thus the currently missing ability to create binary
> distributions, which Sage can do, this is a must-have).
>
> But the general direction seems promising to me, and there are more
> such generic "hosted distibutions" (there does not seem to be a common
> name for this kind of thing) to choose from, e.g. Nixpkg (see
> [...]
Well thanks for the plug for our work. We are quite happy to develop the prefix
part of sage-on-gentoo, so far the effort has been limited but if you are
testing it on an arch we are quite happy to try to get as much as possible
keyworded.
By the way did you try sage-4.5.3 or 4.6 (alphaX/rc0)?

Indeed gentoo do not offer you the possibility to have "relocatable" binaries
as such. It's not the point in a way. However gentoo can create binary
packages (on an individual package basis) so it would be possible to install
binaries from a base gentoo prefix install.

Francois