On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 4:45 AM, leif <not.rea...@online.de> wrote:
> On 4 Nov., 01:45, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 1:35 AM, Robert Bradshaw
>>
>> <rober...@math.washington.edu> wrote:
>>
>> > Nearly every time I've worked on either sage-scripts or extcode, I've
>> > had to submit corresponding patches to the sage library itself. I'd
>> > say this is more than double the work and confusion, and especially
>> > doesn't play well with switching between branches. Not to mention that
>> > working on spkgs outside the main library is less convenient.
>>
>> +1 to Robert's suggestion...
>
> But that's the opposite of getting more modular (instead, even more
> monolithic).

Very little (if any) of sage-scripts is useful without the sage
library, and visa-versa, so it's really just an artificial separation,
not real modularity. Extcode and examples are even more intertwined.

> It's IMHO better to separate the build parts from the maths.

Extcode and examples are very much about the math. The scripts not as
much, but lots of the sage library is infrastructure as well.

> And cloning even more megs isn't nice either; the devel branches have
> grown much.
> It's ok /to be able/ to run different branches in parallel, but such
> should be optional.

It would be optional. If you don't want to run branches in parallel,
don't clone.

> I would also e.g. remove all fonts from the SageNB (and perhaps
> MoinMoin) packages; they don't compress well and it doesn't make sense
> to have them under revision control. The SageNB repo is full of old,
> *deleted* fonts.

+1 to that idea.

- Robert